Saturday 2 November 2013

Playing With Power Tools

So I borrowed a Dremmel off a mate of mine last night and had some fun today, Saturday, cutting up the Rhino and the turret mount for the Leman Russ. I started on the Rhino cutting into what had been the front plate. I got to work on the cut outs with my file tiding up the cut outs, I realised that I hadn't taken into account the brace that the head had fitted to so I got the Dremmel out again and cut down a slit so that the hull actually angels downwards. I spent some more time playing with file to get a good fit. I'm now waiting on the magnets to arrive from Hong Kong to fit the hull to the shell properly. While talking to my mate last night we got onto to the weapons I'm getting, I was planning on getting the guns from Forge World but my mate suggested that they'll be over balanced as the mounts are near the back, if I make them I can have the fittings more central and get the guns back ends to help counter balance the forward weight of the head. Onto the Mastodon; I wanted a turret on it and am using the Leman Russ for this, as I think that this rather than a super heavy gun is more in keeping with the transport role of the Mastodon, a Baneblade type weapon while an option would take up way too much space and while I see a Big Fracking Gun version being made ( 4th up as I intend to sell the first on ebay to to pay for bits to make the next 3. This one will have a smaller transport capacity of say 15 with maybe an Earth Shaker Cannon mounted on the back to act as a Command Version which was a suggestion from someone in the Imperial Guard group I'm in on Facebook, the Command Squad and maybe the an elite squad or 2 to act as bodyguards will be transported in this one. So I started off by fitting the turret plate on the ATST the wrong way round. To get a better fit I cut off the flat end plate. This looked okay but needed a bit of finessing, now finess is an alien concept to someone who lived by by the ethos the only 4 tools you'll ever need are WD40, Duct Tape, The Chisle Of Ignorance and The Lump Hammer Of Brute Force and I cut more off than I intended to. Luckly glue, green stuff and a coat of paint should hide that little mess. After fitting it to the top of the ATST it looked bad, so I turned it round and had the "crew hatch" at the back, this also helps to hide the extra cut I made by mistake. The turret looks good on it this way round, and I look forward to getting foam card this week to make the body of the Mastodon and the weapon arms on the Titan. I think I'll be adding some magnets to these to help hold the weight of the weapons and not just hope that the rubber nut from the Zoid will hold it on.

No comments: