Wednesday 6 November 2013

Good Week For Working

Not so good for time on the hobby, 49 hours and 6 straight days. Plan is to get down to Granthams to get hold of some foam card to start the Mastodon body.
Other plans.
I had always intended to sell the Mastodon and keep the Titan  but now I'm thinking of selling the Titan and keeping the Mastodon and add a couple more as Company Transports for The Lions Blades or maybe selling both and using the cash to make the 3  Mastodons I'm planning on. Beyond that and using those 3 to get used to messing around with foam card and plasticard I'm thinking of possible starting to sell them. I know I'd not be able to use the GW bits if I was to sell them on so I'd have to make tracks, turret and the rest out of foam and plasticard with enough divergence from GW to get away with it and also use a different name as I'm fairly sure Mastodon will be a registered name, that bit is easy as I've already looked up the evolution of the Elephant and it's family tree and seen a couple of branches that died out that I might use the names of.
So on my day off I got on with cutting up the foam board to make the body of Mastodon. I started off with a base and made it a bit too long, along with the sides, it took some work to at first and it wasn't a looker, with the Russ tracks on the front it was not good. I flipped the tracks around and found that they looked better that way than I had thought but the extra weight kept pulling the body apart and with the with the look of body I thought I'd chop it down a bit, I orginally thought to cut 2 inches/50mm out of the body, but going with the baby steps idea I thought it better to cut half of what I wanted to out as I can always cut more off, but if I cut too much out it would have been a waste and I'd have to start again with another sheet of foam board. After the cutting I spent a bit of time finessing plates and getting them to fit. With the heavier tracks on the back I was only able to stand them next to the back for the photo but I think it looks better like this.

No comments: